14 August 2018 – Dubai, Worldwide SOS and Management Dangers, the world’s main medical and safety threat consultants, present recommendation on the right way to have a wholesome Hajj in Saudi Arabia, in addition to essential suggestions for enterprise travellers to the area throughout the pilgrimage this month.
Shut to three million international and home pilgrims are anticipated to carry out their non secular duties in Mecca, Mina, Arafat & Muzdalifah between Sunday 19 August and Friday 24 August, with many additionally travelling to Medina within the weeks earlier than and after the pilgrimage. Lots of of 1000’s of travellers may have already arrived in Saudi Arabia, and native authorities and transportation hubs have been getting ready for the busy interval forward.
Worldwide SOS prime 15 journey recommendation suggestions throughout Hajj:
- Anticipate heightened safety at transport hubs and elevated congestion on sure overland journey routes.
- Take into account methods to keep away from congestion and closely populated areas by reviewing transportation choices. Additional, pilgrims ought to verify with their Hajj operator on essentially the most acceptable occasions to carry out the Hajj-specific rituals on the suitable days.
- Monitor the information and observe official safety advisories.
- Save emergency contacts in your cell phone and ensure it’s charged (police, ambulance, embassy, Line Managers, native contacts).
- Carry a replica of your ID and a replica of your medical data.
- Be capable of current proof of all required Vaccines, particularly the quadrivalent meningitis vaccination, and people from uncovered nations to indicate proof of yellow fever and polio vaccinations.
- In case of persistent illnesses it is very important have sufficient provide of your drugs.
- See your physician earlier than you journey when you’ve got any medical circumstances.
- Take into account placing a bracelet across the wrist indicating if you’re Diabetic, Asthmatic Epileptic and many others.
- Take into account sporting a facemask in crowded locations and altering frequently.
- Be conscious of the native legal guidelines and tradition. (Necessary observe: Alcohol is prohibited in Saudi Arabia).
- Drink plenty of water, and persistently, to keep away from warmth stroke– ensure that is bottled and keep away from ice cubes.
- Concentrate on the hygiene requirements of eating places and solely eat from places with excessive cleanliness.
- Ensure to clean your palms completely and frequently.
- Pilgrims are suggested to adjust to the newest necessities issued by the federal government, specifically by means of the Ministry of Hajj and Umra and the Saudi Ministry of Well being, and to stay abreast of the newest information and suggestions.
Mazen Jomaa, Regional Safety Supervisor at Worldwide SOS and Management Dangers in Dubai, mentioned:
“The Hajj & Eid Al Adha interval will see a big inflow of pilgrims arrive in Saudi Arabia. So whether or not travelling on enterprise or as a pilgrim your self preparations for generalised journey disruption are required throughout this busy interval. Whereas native authorities are very effectively ready to handle this – by means of the designated Hajj terminal at King Abdulaziz Worldwide Airport – it’s important that travellers additionally take duty of their very own security and safety.”
Dr. Issam Badaoui, Medical Director of Help at Worldwide SOS in Dubai, mentioned:
“One of many key issues to recollect is to hold the required vaccination paperwork to make sure easy entry. There are a selection of identified illnesses prevalent within the area that may be managed with sensible consideration to hygiene. Additionally it is essential to implement wellness measures to guard towards any threat of sickness and in addition to be ready to deal with environmental points, comparable to the intense warmth. To keep away from the unfold of micro organism or infections, pilgrims and guests are suggested to maintain a ways from sick folks and keep a excessive diploma of private hygiene. Bear in mind to decide on clear, well-cooked meals and protected drinks, together with bottled water and pasteurised milk. Additionally, take measures to remain hydrated and funky to keep away from heat-related sicknesses.”
Identified Illness Associated Recommendation
MERS-CoV is a virus first recognized amongst people in 2012. Saudi Arabia has reported extra circumstances than every other nation. Many contaminated folks have skilled acute sickness with extreme respiratory signs. Round 30% of these contaminated have died. The virus can unfold from one individual to a different, nevertheless so far this has solely occurred in a restricted trend, to individuals who have been in shut contact with an contaminated individual.
Good hygiene measures can assist stop respiratory sicknesses:
- Wash your palms steadily, particularly after coughing/sneezing.
- Keep away from touching your face.
- Maintain a ways from people who find themselves coughing, sneezing or seem sick.
- Keep away from pointless direct contact with dwell animals.
Moreover, there are particular steps to take concerning MERS:
- Keep away from direct contact with dwell animals, particularly camels, and their setting
- Don’t eat undercooked camel meat or drink uncooked camel milk or camel urine.
- Keep away from contact with sick folks, together with in well being amenities.
- Must you require medical consideration, name any help centre and we’ll organize an acceptable referral.
- Search medical consideration if you happen to develop a fever and/or respiratory signs (like a cough) which can be average to extreme whereas within the Center East or inside 14 days after leaving the area – attempt to minimise your contact with different folks till you discuss to a physician or nurse. Take into account sporting a surgical masks if you happen to should keep up a correspondence with others.
Malaria: Malaria is current in some areas of Saudi Arabia by the Yemeni border, significantly Asir (under 2,000 metres) and Jizan. Although not a vaccine-preventable illness, travellers can shield themselves from malarial an infection by stopping mosquito bites whereas outside:
- Put on clothes that covers a lot of the physique (lengthy sleeves and lengthy pants).
- Use an efficient insect repellent, comparable to one which incorporates DEET, Picaridin, PMD or IR3535. Comply with the producer’s directions, and reapply after swimming or extreme sweating.
Stopping mosquito bites when you are indoors or asleep:
- Use “knock-down” insect spray to kill mosquitoes in your room.
- Use mosquito coils or electrical insecticide vaporisers if mosquitoes can get into your room.
- Select air conditioned lodging if doable.
The illness is just not normally current in Mecca or Medina however is present in different areas of the nation. Travellers visiting the western emirates bordering Yemen, together with Asir and Jizan, or rural areas ought to think about chemoprophylaxis for chloroquine-resistant P. falciparum malaria.
Zika virus and Dengue: The mosquito that carries these viruses has not been detected within the Hajj and Umrah areas for a few years nevertheless; competent mosquitos are current in different areas in Saudi Arabia. All travellers are suggested to take insect chew avoidance measures throughout the day and at night-time. That is significantly essential for many who are arriving from Zika endemic nations and territories.
– Ends –
Center East: Omar Alhalabi, t +971 (0)4 6018858, m +971 (0)4 504558412
Group Head of PR: Suzanne Withers, t +44 (0)20 8762 8494, m +44 (0)7584 522 497
About Worldwide SOS and Management Dangers
Our alliance brings collectively two of the world’s main medical and safety specialists, International SOS and Control Risks. Our mixed assets and experience are effectively positioned to satisfy the shoppers’ rising want for built-in journey safety threat providers. Our options make sure that cell workers are protected and productive and assist employers with their responsibility of care obligations. 50 devoted consultants, situated throughout the globe with entry to over 200 devoted journey safety consultants by means of 26 regional Help Centres and a associate community of over 700 accredited suppliers, produce international journey safety info and evaluation 24/7. We additionally present journey safety coaching, preventative journey evaluation, help with the event of journey safety threat insurance policies, evacuation plans and the newest know-how to allow shoppers to trace and talk with their cell workers.